Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Memphis

Hello www, Thank you God for all answered prayers. In Jesus' name. Amen. I take communion to the homes of the elderly - sometimes not so elderly - from our church on a fairly regular basis. This is highly rewarding in and of itself, but when I'm also fortunate enough to bond with some of these lovely people, it is truly a providential experience. One such lady that my mom and I are close to is named Lucy. Lucy has a precious grand-baby named Memphis. Memphis turned three this year. She showed us a video of Memphis' first visit to Dallas. He is an adorable, independent, and intelligent child. He is fiercely self-reliant, refusing any kind of help. He can feed himself with a utensil: he learned to poke his food and then turn the utensil so that it fits in his mouth. He is well-mannered and knows certain words like, "Why?" and "Where are you pa-pa?" (his name for his grandfather) Watching him eat cantaloupe made me wish I could hug him tightly. Another moment showed him lying face up on the couch with his t-shirt crumpled a little bit underneath him, revealing a nice, round tummy I wanted to tickle. He climbed up on his grandma's reclining rocking chair and oscillated. Now, you may think all of things I've mentioned aren't very unusual, but what I haven't mentioned is that as a baby Memphis had Bacteria Meningitis. This horrific disease took sweet little Memphis' arms and legs. Lucy told us that the doctor who had to cut away the disease - taking Memphis' limbs with it - came out of the operating room crying. (I can't imagine having a job where removing a baby's arms might be something I'd have to do.) Mom and I immediately loved Memphis when Lucy told us about him, without seeing his photo, but when we saw the above video, we were enchanted. Memphis has artificial limbs and when he's back in Atlanta with his father, Memphis will continue learning how to use them. I am forever changed by meeting Memphis: grateful everyday for my health, and the health of those I love; Lord, thank you for children who are healthy, and please heal those who aren't. I ask myself how God could let something like this happen to such a phenomenal little boy, and the answer returns to me in something I heard from the father of a disabled child, "Children with disabilities are God's way of seeing how others react to these children." If you would like to donate money to help defer some of Memphis' medical bills, and/or take a look at this cute, cute, little boy, check him out at: http://www.memphislynnlafferty.com/ God bless you!

1 comment:

Mike Davidow said...

Great way to look at things DB!


Followers

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger