Monday, June 9, 2008

My apology to the Tall Gentleman

Hello World, How is everyone today? Many blessings to each and everyone, always. There has been one thing about this past Friday night's outing that I failed to mention...and it's been weighing on me ever since it happened. While sitting outside in the gorgeous evening, 'M' innocently commented on a Really Tall Gentlemen close to the door of the bar. "How tall do you think he is?" she asked all of us. I figured he was at least 6'7", but others didn't think he was taller than 6'5" or so. Being a bold, impulsive person (I am working on the impulsive part, lol) I offered to ask the guy how tall he was. There were a few in our group who didn't think this was a good idea, but I didn't hear their protests, and I was off to ask. I thought it would be a fun excursion; a close friend of mine from my childhood was tall and good-natured, I expected no less from this person. When I approached the tall gentleman, I said, "Listen, a group of us were guessing how tall you are..." Before I finished, he said, "9 inches." I tried asking him again, and he cut in and said, "7 inches. Is that what you were guessing?" He was surrounded by two other guys and I said, "Well that is rude." One of his friends said, "No, You're being rude. How much do you weigh?" With total surprise showing on my face, I walked away from them. I wasn't too hurt by the interaction and laughed it off to the others when I returned. Now I heard the, "I knew it wasn't a good idea to go and ask him. Some people have complexes about those kinds of things," comments. Oh well. I told you, I'm still learning to be less impulsive. But this guy's reaction reminded me of a Scrubs episode. Yes, a t.v. show. I like Scrubs, and even if it is a sitcom, sometimes it has v. poignant things to say. Let me give you an example. I found this transcription from a Scrubs episode entitled, "My Lips are Sealed." The episode is between Elliot and one of her patients, Mr. Gerst. Elliot: Mr. Gerst, what seems to be the problem? Gerst: I took some pills. Elliot: Come on, help me out here. Were they happy pills, sad pills, sleepy pills, wake up pills, sane pills, pain pills, brain pills, Spain pills... Gerst: Man pills? The commercial says I should consult a physician if the condition persists for more than four hours. Elliot: If what persists? [Mr. Gerst, who had a baseball cap on his lap stands up... And the baseball cap doesn't fall to the ground] Oh! Um... Let's just say you took uppers. Elliot leaves to get Kelso, the chief of medicine at the hospital. Elliot: [She's pulling Dr. Kelso by the arm.] You're coming in because you need to set an example of professionalism and you're certainly not going to do that by making fun of that man's slinky-doo. Kelso: Don't pull me, I'm your boss for God's-- Hello! [They're in Mr. Gerst's room.] Elliot: So, Mr. Gerst. Your situation doesn't seem to be reversing itself. I think we're going to need to schedule a procedure to relieve the... uh... Kelso: Woodiness. Gerst: My fiancee's only twenty-four and she said she wanted to do something special this morning. Turns out she just meant having breakfast with her family. [Elliot beings to whimper.] The pills didn't really kick in until just about the moment I'm introduced to her ninety year old grandma. Sure enough, that little lady gives me the waist hug from her wheelchair. [Elliot's finding it harder and harder to not laugh.] Elliot: Excuse me, I need that chart. [She turns around to compose herself.] Kelso: Sweetheart, it's not healthy to hold it in. Just let it out. You know you want to. Elliot: I'm fine. [They turn back around.] Gerst: I pulled away from that encounter with all of Grandma Helen's breathing apparatus. [Elliot can't contain herself and starts cracking up.] Kelso: My work here is done. Elliot: Oh my God, I can't stop! Sorry! I have to pee! [Elliot's at the Nurse's Station] Elliot: I'm such a horrible person. I mean, there I was, up on my high horse about Mr. Gerst and then I just turned out to be just as bad as everyone else. Kelso: Sweetheart, give yourself some credit. You're much worse than everyone else. Elliot: Maybe I was. But you know what? I'm going to try to better myself, and unlike you, I'm going to follow through, Mr. "Sign up on the Hospital Bulletin Board for Private German Lessons and then Never Show Up"! Yeah, that's right. That was my flyer! [In German] I waited at that coffee shop for hours. Kelso: I broke up with my German mistress. She smelled like sauerkraut. Elliot: I'm so sorry. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go into that room right now, and own up to what I did. [Mr. Gerst's Room] Gerst: [He hears the door close, but doesn't see anyone.] Hello? Did someone come in? [Elliot is hiding in the doorway, out of sight.] Gerst: [He's talking to a friend on the phone.] Dude, that did not happen. No, I'm in the hospital because I-- They think I have Avian Flu. [Elliot clears her throat and comes out of her hiding place.] I gotta call you back. How long have you been there? Elliot: Forty-seven... Forty-eight minutes. I'm not sure, I nodded off for a while. Mr. Gerst, I'm so sorry for laughing at you. But I have to tell you a story. When I was in the seventh grade, I was at a roller rink and I needed to go to the bathroom. So I just skated right on into a stall and I did my, uh, private business. And then when I went to pull up my pants, I started rolling towards the door, which as it turned out wasn't latched. Now, I don't know if you've had any experience roller skating with your underpants around your ankles--it's very difficult to stop. Unless of course, you know, you scream so loud that they turn off the music and everyone is looking at you. Anyway, that's how I wound up with the nickname "Roller Moler". Gerst: I'm sorry? Elliot: I have a mole on my ass. [She indicates the spot with her finger.] The cute kind! Not the hairy kind. Anyway, the next day at school I showed up with roller skates on and everybody cracked up. Gerst: Why are you telling me this? Elliot: Because I owned up to it. This is funny, Mr. Gerst. And if you don't just embrace it and become part of the joke then it will follow you around and devour you. Gerst: Can I get a look at that mole? Elliot: No. Ahem. No. Gerst: [On the phone.] Yeah! And then I pulled off Grandma's breathing apparatus. No, I'm serious! As my older bro so wonderfully pointed out, I did not in fact apologize to the Tall Gentleman. Having said this, I would like to apologize now: Tall Gentleman, please forgive me for asking you how tall you are. I hope you accept my apology. Thanks. Now that I've apologized, I'd like to point out: if Mr. Tall Gentleman had owned up to his 'tallness,' and made it a humorous situation, or something positive at least, then it wouldn't haunt him anymore, and that's my wish for him: that he be okay with his tallness and that it not be an issue for him anymore. SO, to all you Tall, Short, Fat, Skinny, and others who may have issues with a particular aspect of your body, my wish for you is that you consider your issue a blessing rather than a curse. Stop the haunting, lol. God bless!

No comments:


Followers

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger