Sunday, May 1, 2011

As we grow in wisdom, we pardon more freely.

Hello friends,
God blesses each of us in wondrous and amazing ways; my prayer today is that you take the time to see how He's working in your life. In Jesus' name. Amen.
I began these blogs with these objectives in mind: to address the superficial politics of being pro-life, or pro-choice; the idea of conscience; and lastly, to decide how the information has changed me, if indeed it has, in any way.
I gathered a lot of information about what it means to be pro-choice and pro-life, and a dear friend loaned me a book entitled, "Unplanned," written by Abby Johnson, and this is what tipped my thinking (besides God, of course)to the pro-life side.
Just a very brief summary of the book, Abby came from the same place I did: pro-choice. Through her book, I was able to see what it's like to be inside a Planned Parenthood facility, and outside the facility, through some of the pro-lifers. It's a good book. Check it out if you get a chance.
My point being: everything starts with education. Once people gather information about a topic, the more adept they will be at making a good decision for themselves.
Surprisingly, I thought I was going to still be a smug pro-choice advocate at the end of this 'series.' But I've got to tell you: God has really worked with me. He has gently lead me to a greater understanding of what goes on in abortion clinics, what circumstances lead a person to choose to have an abortion, etc.
I am not condemning or judging anyone if they decide to have an abortion, but, just like my friend at the very beginning of this 'talk,' told me, I'll pray for them.
Because ultimately, at the end of our lives, we stand before God and have to atone for the things we've done, or not done, with the talents God has given us.
I cannot, in all good conscience, stand before my Lord and Savior and say, I was pro-life, Lord, in everything (besides Jesus sees my heart and through any lie I'd tell). I was opposed to war, I was opposed to the death penalty, but I thought it was okay for people to choose to kill a life. I realize now the hypocrisy of my thinking. I understand too, that war, the death penalty, and yes, even abortions are 'government decisions,' i.e. law, and that as an individual in our society, I don't have a large say in any of those things, these things do and will happen, regardless of how I feel, or think about them...Wrong. I've protested wars before; I'm familiar with Amnesty International. I am an activist. No law will stop me from being an activist. And now I will work for the pro-life movement. Not fanatically, probably very low-key and behind the scenes, but I'll be in there and working for this cause.
Having written this much, I must also say that I can no longer vote for Democrats that are pro-choice. I'll be praying and asking God where He wants me politically.
As I learned, I hope you did too, and that maybe you'll be interested in checking out the book I mentioned.
"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." Mother Theresa

No comments:


Followers

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger