Monday, August 6, 2012

Seeking a job in the big city

Hello friends,
Heavenly Father, bless all eyes reading this blog. Special intentions and prayers for the sick, the ailing, homeless, hungry, all those who have no one to pray for them, and for the unemployed. Prayers for atheists, agnostics, and the oppressed. For peace in our world, and in our families. For two personal prayers. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
     My job search has taken me all over the 'big city'.***
     I've been interviewed by at least six different principals, all in public schools, in the last two or three weeks. Not that I'm complaining. Having interviews is a tremendous blessing; my hope is with the Lord. I pray He will guide me, and the interviewer, to a magnificent fit, beneficial to the students, staff, parents, and community at large. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
     The first interview I had was for two schools. A dear friend of mine worked at one of the schools, and asked her principal to speak with me. Her principal obliged her, but once I realized I was going to be in charge of two schools, I politely declined. I want to have some experience before undertaking such a huge endeavor.
     The second school was close to a Catholic church; I could attend church once my work day was done. I was really hoping for this school. I felt like I could make a difference here, as I've felt with all the schools where I applied. In addition, it wasn't far from my house, and the mascot was cool. Seriously, the school was about three minutes from a place of worship. Alas, though, within a few days I was notified by the secretary saying the position was filled.
     The third interview I had was for a school comprised of mostly homeless children. A truly special place, where a person with a compassionate heart was needed. I felt immediately protective of these young ones, and just knew I could empower them. It was the principal's interaction with one of the teachers,who was moving to another school, that made me hesitant. Hmm, could I work for her? School counseling isn't the same as being a teacher. My position is to support principal, staff, and above all, the students; along with an affirmative reciprocity with the community at large. But there was no need for me to worry - I wasn't offered the position.
     The fourth school had a principal I quickly liked, and knew we'd make a great team. She and I had the same ideas for school activities, and we spoke for at least an hour, maybe more. This school was a bit of a drive, but the principal inspired me enough to want to be on her team, regardless of the distance. She told me she'd call me on Monday; Monday became Tuesday. The following Monday I called her, but her secretary said she had already hired a school counselor. I cried about the loss of this opportunity. I just felt so comfortable with the principal, and the surroundings.
     The next interview I had was in the district I currently work for, and for a school where I had been a teacher. I knew I wasn't going to take the position, but I wanted the exposure of the interview. It was a growing experience. I wasn't happy at this school, which made going back to it kind of surreal. The dialogue was fine; no tension. I gladly received the email saying the principal went with someone else.
     The sixth interview was not in the safest of areas; as my mom and I perused the campus together, the day before my appointment. Mom seemed fairly worried, which I didn't like, because I don't need my mom worrying about me, but someone needed to attend to these children too. The conference was smooth going, but I was concerned about a couple of things. The two counselors that were employed, were no longer working there. Why were both of them gone? I didn't ask, but I was wondering. The VP mentioned long hours after the school day was done, not a completely bad thing, but then he added that one or two days out of the weekend might also be needed. This alarmed me, especially with there being two counselors. I was also told that I was to act like a kind of 'snitch' for administration. If there were teachers not compling with school/district 'rules and regulations,' I had to tell the principal, the VP, or both. Hmm...thankfully, I was not chosen for this situation either.

     I know God is with me, and He has my best interests at heart. I am 'expectantly hopeful' in the Lord! I also have an 'army of prayer warriors,' and I ask that God especially bless these people, as they have been angels to me in my search. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

As this post is being published, I have an interview today with a middle School...PTL!

*** I do have a job in the Fall, it's just not a counseling job.

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." Mother Theresa

No comments:


Followers

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger